"Charlestown Station"

Please check out our new eCommerce site: www.ClemsonPrints.com.

"Charlestown Station"

inchester and Potomac Railroad, May 30, 1861

by John Paul Strain
Copyright 2006 John Paul Strain Historical Art

Lithographic Prints
Image Size: 17" x 29 3/4"
750 S/N Limited Edition Lithographic Prints
100 Artist's Proofs

Canvas Giclée Editions
100 S/N Studio Canvas Giclées
10 Artist's Proofs
Image Size: 15" x 26 1/4"

125 S/N Classic Canvas Giclées
15 Artist's Proofs
Image Size: 19 1/2" x 34"

10 S/N Executive Canvas Giclées
5 Artist's Proofs
Image Size: 24" X 42"

Current Prices: Check our current price list.

If the great Stonewall Jackson was bothered by rain drops falling into his coffee while he waited for the Winchester and Potomac Railroad engine to get fired up at Charlestown Station, he didn't show it. He also showed little concern about the huge Federal Armies that were closing in on him from numerous directions.

Adventures had unfolded hourly during Jackson's audacious advance on the Federal Army. Fresh on the heels of his success in routing the Federals at Front Royal, he turned his attention to defeating General Banks' army of 6500 men retreating north. Jackson hard-marched his men all night to catch Banks. With little rest and no food he and his army defeated Banks' in the first battle of Winchester. Banks had been beaten but not completely destroyed as many of his soldiers were able to escape north towards Harpers Ferry. To General Jackson's chagrin, lack of cavalry and the fatigue of his soldiers prevented pursuit. His soldiers had covered over 100 miles in 7 days and had been engaged in successful combat operations for 30 hours.

Jackson didn't take long to reorganize and rearm his fighting force, and he was again in pursuit on May 28th. At the key crossroads town of Charlestown, 1500 of Banks' men had turned to make a stand but were quickly defeated. However, Jackson's cavalry chief Turner Ashby brought alarming news. Fremont's Federal Army was heading towards them from the west. With Banks possibly reconstituting his command to the north, Jackson sensed a shift in the Federal priorities, and he was right. Washington was panicked at what Jackson was doing in the valley and drew two more divisions under General Shields to attack from the east. A courier on May 30th alerted Jackson to the new threat of Shields. Three Federal Armies were about to surround him. Jackson ordered his army back to Winchester to counter the threat.

The electric gray-blue sky and heavy rain seemed to accent the uncertainty and fate of General Jackson and his army. And yet as staff officers Sandie Pendleton and Jedediah Hotchkiss looked at his countenance, they could almost see his calm thoughts, and his eyes spoke silent words that trailed out over the steam from the railroad engine, all is well.

Join Mailing List Questions or comments - please E-mail us.
How to Order
Allens' Creations Homepage
Clemson Prints
Civil War Prints
African-American Prints